Oral Medicine is the specialty of dentistry that sits at the interface between dentistry and medicine. This specialty focuses on the diagnosis and management of complex diagnostic and medical disorders affecting mouth and jaws. It emphasis the importance of oral manifestations in systemic diseases with an objective of maintaining proper oral health for general public and the dental management of medically compromised patients. Radiology is a specialty, which deals with the maxillofacial imaging using both intraoral and extra-oral techniques.
Undergraduates are trained to diagnose and manage the routine diseases and lesions affecting the oral and perioral region, while postgraduates with advanced training in this discipline manage oral mucosal diseases, salivary gland disorders, orofacial pain, TMJ disorders and oral manifestations of systemic diseases as well as treatment of medically compromised patients.
|S. No||Faculty Name||Designation|
|1||Dr. Jayaprasad Anekar||Professor & HOD|
|2||Dr. Deepika Nappalli||Reader|
|3||Dr. Priya Lokanath||Reader|
|4||Dr. Chethan B R||Sr. Lecturer|
|5||Dr. Jayalaxmi B||Sr. Lecturer|
|6||Dr. Shamshad M P||Sr. Lecturer|
|7||Dr. Seema M.||Lecturer|
|8||Dr. Abhinav S Suvarna||Tutor|
|9||Dr. Ganapati L. Dharmashala||Tutor|
Separate postgraduate and undergraduate clinics
- Fully equipped special clinic with digitalized radiograph
- Radiographic section for intraoral and extraoral radiographs
- Digital panoramic radiography unit
- Orofacial pain and TMJ clinic
- Computerized patient record and waiting area
- General examination room
- Seminar room with latest projector
- Department library and computer room with internet facilities
- Sterilization room.
The department provides OPD services with an average patient inflow of more than 250 per day and has been successfully providing clinical services to people of Sullia and surrounding areas.
Along with precise diagnosis and treatment planning, mucocutaneous diseases and chronic ulcerative lesions are treated with latest treatment protocol in the department. Potentially malignant disorders are detected early to prevent progression into malignant conditions.
Diagnosis and treatment of Temperomandibular joint disorders are done in the department with conventional medicinal and physical therapy. Also, orofacial pain and neuralgic disorders are managed here with special care.
The radiology department equipped with conventional and latest digital equipment provides the best images of craniofacial complex. Advanced TMJ radiographs, special radiographic techniques for implant placement and salivary gland disorders are the hallmark of the department.
The postgraduate students are also posted in Community Health Centres, various departments of KVG Medical College and Hospital as well as in Regional Cancer Centre, Thalassery for training in respective specialities. The department is also involved in research works, regularly conducts CDE programmes and guest lectures on the topics of current relevance.
Awards / recognitions received at the national and international level by
- Dr Jayaprasad Anekar. Dr Boweer‟s award for best article in JIAOMR in 2001.
- 3rd best poster presentation award: Dr Shabil [2011 batch]
- Best paper award ,Chennai PG convention in 2014 : Dr Jayalaxmi B [2014 batch]
- Best paper award: Chennai PG convention in 2014: Dr Krishna [2014 batch]
- University 3RD Rank : Dr. Manaswitha Tripaty [2013 batch]
- University 3RD Rank : Dr. Sonal S [2013 batch]
- Secured Highest Marks in Oral Medicine And Radiology in BDS : Zunaida [2015-2016]
- Secured Highest Marks in Oral Medicine And Radiology in BDS : Dr. Manoj [2014-2015]
- Oral systemic correlations on 02.07.2012 in association with Colgate Pamolive (India)
- HIV and Hepatitis- current concepts on 14.09.2012 in association Indian Dental Association Sullia branch.
An interdepartmental meet with Department of Orthodontics, in which Dr Jeena discussed on Panoramic Radiography on 04/08/2013
An interdepartmental meet with Department of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery and Oral Pathology was held on 07/06/2013 and Dr.Anshumali, Dr.Deepa, Dr.Jeena, Dr.Narendra and Dr.Nitin presented paper. Dr. Harishchandra Rai, MDS, Professor, HOD, Department of Oral Pathology and Dr.Ramaraj, MDS, Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery as Chairpersons
SMIRITHI Alumni Association (wherein Dr. Jayaparsad Anekarsecretary of Alumini Association) organized a Blood Donation Camp with Youth Red Cross Society, Deralakatte branch, Mangalore in KVG Dental College, Sullia on 08/07/2013
CDE Programme Conducted by the Department
Oral systemic correlations on 02.07.2012 in association with Colgate Pamolive (India)
HIV and Hepatitis – current concepts on 14.09.2012 in association Indian Dental Association Sullia branch
Dr. Jayaprasad Anekar presented a guest lecture on CT in Dentistry in a CDE Programme on 26 March, 2013
Panel Discussion on “Red and White Lesion” held on 29/3/2016
CDE Program on orofacial pain 19.3.2015
National Symposium on “Advanced Imaging” held on 16/06/2016